recipe from Beantown Baker
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 24 oreo halves (the side with the cream filling still on it)
- 20 oreos, coarsely chopped (quartered)
- For Garnish: oreo cookie crumbs, and 24 oreo cookie halves
- For Frosting: Use your favorite vanilla frosting recipe. Cream cheese frosting might also be good.
Line cupcake pans with 24 cupcake liners. Put an oreo half in each liner, cream side up. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir together to combine and set aside. In another bowl, with an electric mixer combine the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Blend in the egg whites and vanilla extract, beating well. Then, with the mixer on low speed, beat in half of the dry ingredients until just incorporated. Add the milk, and beat until just combined, then mix in the rest of the dry ingredients. Gently fold in the chopped oreos with a rubber spatula, being careful not to over-mix.
Distribute batter evenly into the cupcake liners and bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely, then frosting and garnish.