I thought this was a fun cupcake for Valentine's day. And I even made little hearts and 'I <3 U' out of melted white chocolate. I think it added a nice touch. :) What are you making your special someone for Valentine's Day?
The recipe below is for a layer cake and makes two 9-inch round cakes. But can easily be used for cupcakes. Yields roughly 20 cupcakes.
Fluffy Yellow Cake
recipe from Cooks Illustrated
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour, plus extra for dusting pans
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. table salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 10 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 large egg yolks plus 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
2. In a clean, large bowl, beat the egg whites at medium-high speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. While still beating, gradually add the remaining ¼ cup sugar; continue to beat until stiff peaks just form, 1 to 2 minutes (whites should hold peak but mixture should appear moist).
3. Take the bowl with the flour mixture, and with the mixer running at low speed, gradually pour in the butter mixture and mix until almost incorporated (a few streaks of dry flour will remain), about 15 seconds. Stop mixer and scrape sides of the bowl. Return the mixer to medium-low speed and beat until smooth and fully incorporated, 10 to 15 seconds.
4. Using a rubber spatula, stir ⅓ of the whites into the batter to lighten, then add the remaining whites and gently fold into the batter until no white streaks remain. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans (or cupcake liners.. filling about 2/3 full). Lightly tap the pans against the counter 2 or 3 times to dislodge any large air bubbles.
5. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 19-21 minutes. Cool the cakes in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen the cakes from the sides of the pan with a small knife, then invert onto a greased wire rack and peel off the parchment. Invert the cakes again and cool completely on rack, about 1½ hours. Or, with cupcakes, remove from cupcake pan and place on wire rack to cool.
- 1 jar of raspberry preserves
I used a simple buttercream frosting for this cupcake, but you can use whatever frosting suits your taste:)
|I made cute little hearts and things using white chocolate.. have some fun decorating your cupcakes!!|
|And who doesn't love a little surprise inside their cupcakes?|